Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Music To Write To

[Please visit www.jasonkorolenko.com for updated content]

Some writers need soundtracks while working. Me, I have a hard time writing to anything that has lyrics. If I'm shooting for a particular atmosphere, I'll sometimes use movie scores to help me get the job done. To amp up the creep factor, for example, the old standbys are Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Ninth Gate (or anything else by Polish composer Wojciech Kilar, for that matter). The Omen also works. The Exorcist works.

But music with lyrics? I find myself wrapped up in the singer's words and emotions, wanting to write my version of what I'm hearing.

Either here or on some other blog or some other forum, I occasionally posted my "First Fifteen." That is, I'd throw my iPod on shuffle and list the first fifteen songs that played. I'm doing that now (results listed below), thinking about (when I should be working on) all the various projects I have in the pipeline, and stumbled onto an idea.

Letting the music lead the way, I've decided to turn the "First Fifteen" (and that's a copyrighted name, so don't steal my shit) into a fun little writerly game. Starting with a blank page and a zen mind, I'll throw the iPod on shuffle and write a story inspired by the first fifteen songs played.

And I might even post some of them here, just for fun.

Tonight's First Fifteen (sans story, since I only came up with the idea somewhere around song 10):

1. Sepultura - F.O.E.
2. System of a Down - Revenga
3. The White Stripes - The Hardest Button To Button
4. Danzig - Stalker Song
5. Noir Desir - I Want You
6. Strapping Young Lad - Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing
7. Metallica - Some Kind Of Monster
8. Emperor - Cosmic Keys To My Creations And Times
9. Rebel Meets Rebel - No Compromise
10. The White Stripes - Do
11. The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down
12. Noir Desir - Sweet Mary
13. Alice In Chains - A Little Bitter
14. Lacuna Coil - In Visible Light
15. Anathema - Leave No Trace

No comments: